Port Arthur Texas Personal Injury Lawyer | Port Arthur Personal Injury Attorneys
If you have a Port Arthur, TX personal injury claim, Port Arthur personal injury lawyers are here to advocate for you. Call one of the Port Arthur personal injury lawyers listed on this site for a free initial consultation.
Located in southeast Texas, the city of Port Arthur boasts a total area of approximately 143.8 square miles. It holds a county seat in Jefferson County. Port Arthur is connected to surrounding cities via Highways 73, 93 and 82. A regional airport and railroad track are also located within the city, making it easy for Port Arthur residents to travel both near and far.
Port Arthur's population of 53,818 (according to the 2010 Census) is employed in both the service and industrial sectors. Higher education makes up a large portion of the Port Arthur economy; Lamar State College, Lamar University and Lamar Institute Of Technology are all located in Port Arthur. Youth accounts for a large portion of Port Arthur's population. There has been a major surge of growth and development of commercial, retail and medical centers to support the students and faculties of these Port Arthur schools and universities. Several large projects involving the energy infrastructure are underway or proposed, the two largest being the Golden Pass and Sabine Pass LNG terminals. These separate projects under construction in neighboring Sabine Pass have brought cumulative initial investments of $2 billion, and will employ thousands at peak construction. Other sectors of the Port Arthur economy include agriculture (crops and livestock), the oil and gas industry, and retail sales.
Such a diverse range of professions Port Arthur with opportunity; however, many of these industries are also, unfortunately, attended by risk of bodily harm and injury. Personal injuries can occur not only in the military, manufacturing and agricultural industries, but also in the retail sector. A bustling economy, easy access to nearby cities and a large college-aged population can certainly expose Port Arthur residents to the risk of bodily harm. Such injuries can range from the minor to the catastrophic. Should you find yourself in one of these unfavorable situations, you need a Port Arthur personal injury attorney to advocate on your behalf. Call one of the Port Arthur personal injury lawyers listed on this site for a free initial consultation.
What is a Personal Injury Attorney and what types of matters does a Port Arthur Personal Injury Attorney’s practice cover?
Port Arthur personal injury attorneys sometimes get the undeserved reputation of being greedy. Many people believe that personal injury lawyers are only interested in cases where they stand to make huge sums of money, and that they care little for their clients. This is simply not the case. Jefferson County personal injury attorneys’ practices cover a wide range of practice areas. More importantly, Jefferson County accident lawyers and other Port Arthur personal injury attorneys play a crucial role in protecting the financial and legal rights of injury victims and their families, many times against large corporations. Just some of the matters that a Port Arthur Personal Injury lawyer covers throughout the State of Texas are:
- Port Arthur Personal Injury Lawyer
- Port Arthur Product Defect Lawyer
- Port Arthur Medical Malpractice Attorney
- Port Arthur Nursing Home Elder Abuse Lawyer
- Port Arthur Legal Malpractice Lawyer
- Port Arthur Real Estate Brokers Fraud Lawyer
- Port Arthur Dangerous Drug Lawyer
- Port Arthur Medical Device Recall Lawyer
- Port Arthur Product Defect Laws
- Port Arthur Car Accident Lawyer
- Port Arthur Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer
- Port Arthur Tractor Trailer Accident Lawyer
- Port Arthur Workers’ Comp Lawyer
- Port Arthur Industrial Accident Lawyer
- Port Arthur Cruise Ship Injury Lawyer
- Port Arthur Boating Injury Attorney
- Port Arthur Railroad Employee Injury Lawyer
- Port Arthur Negligence Lawyer
- Port Arthur Punitive Damage Lawyer
- Port Arthur Wrongful Death Lawyer
- Port Arthur Negligence Trial Lawyer
- Port Arthur Slip & Fall Lawyer
- Port Arthur Dog Bite Lawyer
- Port Arthur Bad Faith Insurance Lawyer
- Port Arthur Texas Tort Claims Act Lawyers
- Lawyers that Sue the City of Port Arthur, Jefferson County, & State of Texas Liability and
- Port Arthur Lawyers that Sue the Federal Government
- All Trial Courts for Jefferson County, Port Arthur, Texas
- Port Arthur Expert Witnesses & Port Arthur Trial Lawyers
- Port Arthur Injury Frequently Asked Questions
- Statutes & Laws for Injury Claims in Port Arthur, Texas
An injury can be a catastrophic event for an entire family, potentially ruining quality of life, destroying a person’s livelihood, and preventing them from working. A Port Arthur personal injury attorney will step in and fight to protect your rights if you find yourself in this situation. Although your attorney will not be able to repair the physical damage you have sustained, it is very likely that a Port Arthur personal injury lawyer will be able to get you deserved compensation for your injuries, which can provide for you, your family, and your medical expenses.
Why do you need a Port Arthur Personal Injury Lawyer?
In most cases where someone gets injured due to the negligence of another person or company, there is insurance to cover the personal injury claim. If you have ever dealt with an insurance company in the past, then you will immediately know why you need to hire an experienced and competent personal injury lawyer to represent you in your Port Arthur personal injury claim. A Port Arthur personal injury attorney can help you negotiate an acceptable settlement or, if need be, take your claim to trial to get you the money you deserve in Texas state or federal courts.
Additionally, proving a personal injury claim can be a very complicated task, particularly if you are not familiar with the legal concepts involved. Even for lawyers who are familiar with these concepts, it can often be difficult to prove causation and damages, and the lawyer may need to consult with a number of medical and scientific experts to prove the necessary legal arguments. Your Port Arthur personal injury lawyer will also be able to advise you of the various theories of recovery that might be involved in your claim, including negligence, strict liability, or intentional tort. In a negligence-based case in Texas, you must prove:
- The person or party that caused your injury owed you a duty of care, but did not live up to that duty;
- There was sufficient causation, or connection, between that person’s action and your injury to constitute a breach of their duty to you; and
- You suffered compensable damages as a result.
An experienced Port Arthur defective product lawyer will know the Texas Product Liability Statute and will know what to do to assist you. he analysis only becomes more complicated in a strict liability case, where you seek to hold the defendant responsible for your injuries regardless of fault, or negligence. In these types of strict products liability cases, your Port Arthur personal injury attorney can help you prove the following elements:
- The seller was in the business of selling the product that caused your injury;
- A defect existing in the product when it was sold made it unreasonably dangerous for consumer use;
- The product was intended to reach you without substantial change from the condition it was in when you purchased it;
- The product wasn’t fit for its intended use or a reasonably foreseeable use at the time it left the manufacturer’s hands;
- The defect in the product caused your injury; and
- You suffered damages as a result.
As noted, a variety of medical and scientific experts might be involved in proving these elements, and an experienced Port Arthur personal injury attorney can help arrange these experts and prepare legal arguments based on your medical records.
Your Port Arthur personal injury lawyer can also advise on whether claims may be brought on behalf of your family members for negligent or intentional infliction of emotional distress, or for loss of consortium. Similarly, there may be other variables involved when more than one party may have contributed to your injury. In these cases, a Port Arthur personal injury lawyer may decide to bring a claim against multiple tortfeasors for joint and several liability.
To illustrate this point, consider the following: If you have been injured by a defective consumer product, the manufacturer may be liable under a theory of strict liability, regardless of any negligence involved. Other people in the chain of distribution, including the retailer or distributor may also be strictly liable for your injuries. In Texas, joint and several liability rules make any party more than 50 percent at fault for your injuries liable for the entire amount of damages, regardless of how much fault is attributable to the other parties involved. Other theories besides strict liability might also be involved, including negligent design and/or manufacture of the product at issue. This is even without introducing the idea of comparative negligence—that is, the idea that your own negligence might, in some cases, reduce your recovery. This might occur in a car accident case, where you were 15% at fault but the other driver involved was primarily responsible for the accident.
Clearly, this analysis varies depending upon the facts of each case, and proving all of these elements can become enormously complicated. A qualified Port Arthur personal injury attorney or Jefferson County personal injury lawyer can help you navigate these difficult legal concepts as well as the Texas court system.
Finally, a Port Arthur personal injury attorney or other Jefferson County personal injury attorney can help you determine what your claim is worth and the measure of damages you should seek to recover. Under Texas law, the party that caused your injury is liable for:
- Past, current, and future estimated medical expenses;
- Time off from work due to injury, including time spent at doctor’s appointments or rehabilitative therapy;
- Property damage, such as damage to your vehicle during an automobile accident;
- The cost of hiring help to perform household chores you couldn’t perform due to your injury;
- Damages for permanent disfigurement or disability;
- Emotional distress, including anxiety, depression, interference with family relationships, & loss of consortium;
- Pain & Suffering;
- Mental Anguish;
- Any other expenses that are a direct result of your injury
Port Arthur personal injury lawyers represent not only injury victims but their families and spouses in actions throughout Central Texas and the Port Arthur area. If you or a loved one has been injured, you may be able to recover for medical expenses as well as a variety of other damages. You should contact one of the experienced Port Arthur personal injury attorneys to represent you and protect your rights.
How long do you have to file a personal injury claim in Texas?
In most personal injury claims in Port Arthur, Texas are governed by the Texas Two (2) year Statute of Limitations. Therefore, you must file a personal injury lawsuit against the party or parties that caused your injury. You should consult a Port Arthur accident lawyer or Jefferson County personal injury attorney to evaluate your claim and pursue legal action before Texas’s two-year statute of limitations has expired.
Port Arthur Trial Lawyers may File your Lawsuit in:
Jefferson County - County
Court at Law No. 1
Jefferson County - County
Court at Law No. 2
What does a Port Arthur personal injury lawyer charge?
Most Port Arthur injury lawyers charge a contingency fee. Instead of an hourly rate, an experienced Port Arthur personal injury attorney will usually agree to accept a percentage of any monetary recovery they win on behalf of their client as their fee. The specifics of the contingency fee agreement can vary from state to state and even from lawyer to lawyer within a state; but, essentially, a contingency fee agreement means that if the injured person does not recover anything, then they pay their attorney nothing. You can easily see how this benefits Port Arthur personal injury victims: not only do they only pay if they recover money, but their interests are also more closely aligned with those of the attorney representing them, who will not simply seek to rack up billable hours, but to win their case. Please contact a Jefferson County personal injury lawyer to discuss your case.
Hospitals in the Greater Port Arthur Area
Christus Hospital St Mary
The Medical Center of Southeast Texas
Christus Dubuis Hospital
Beaumont Bone & Joint Institute
Port Arthur Emergency Services Contact Information
Port Arthur EMS or Port Arthur Fire Department
For more information on Texas personal injury law, see
Personal Injury Attorneys Serve Port Arthur and Surrounding Cities
Serving clients throughout Southeastern Texas, including Baytown, Beaumont, Bridge City, Central Gardens, East Jefferson, Galveston, Groves, La Porte, Liberty, Lumberton, Nederland, Orange, Orangefield, Port Neches, Sabine Pass, Sulphur, Texas City, Vidor and other communities in Jefferson County.